View Single Post
Old 24-10-2022, 22:37   #38
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Appropriate for someone who was appointed to be Johnson’s lapdog, when Javid resigned as Chancellor after refusing a demand from Johnson and Cummings that he dismiss his advisers.
This analysis conflates the circumstances of his appointment with his performance in the role and/or experience gained. The paradox being that he needs experience, but should delay stepping up so he only takes promotion on morally superior grounds? Under Johnson that's almost impossible.

Indeed if being appointed for circumstances other than doing Johnson's bidding would result in a very short tenure in any post. As Javid demonstrated. Twice.

I've no real interest in continuing a back and forth, as I say there's enough reasons to not like Rishi without adding this one to the list. The Tories need to draw a line under the past and to an extent that needs someone relatively new. I'd have preferred Penny to underline the past to move the party past Brexit to be an effective opposition to the next Labour government.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
They should, it’s the membership base which campaigns door to door. If you piss off the membership base, squander your election chances with zero help with campaigning.
Fundamentally neither party gives a shit about the grass roots. Between the media and corporate interests there's enough money and influence around to keep the proletariat in check.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote