View Single Post
Old 16-05-2022, 20:48   #1298
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Chris, you and others have been poo-pooing the idea of streaming becoming the most favoured means of access to content and eventually taking over altogether for many years. You even said at one stage that we didn’t have sufficient electricity supplies to provide large scale on demand programming.

It’s not going to happen today or tomorrow, but it will happen, and it’s the government’s intention that the whole country will be broadband connected over the next few years.
Actually we don’t even have the capacity in the national grid to support total electrification of road traffic, and that’s something we know is going to happen over the next 15 years because, unlike your fantasy shift to IPTV, it is stated government policy (as anything profoundly affecting national infrastructure ought to be).

The data source for the power requirement of an entirely IP-driven TV service is buried somewhere in one of the old threads and frankly I’m not going to be your dancing monkey and go and find it again for you. When facts are inconvenient to you, you simply ignore them anyway, so it would be a waste of my time - it’s clear from your comment above that in your head you’ve managed to remember I said something but conveniently forgotten that the claim was evidenced. Yes, I did even say that at one stage. Because it’s a fact.

If you fancy educating yourself about the challenges faced worldwide by power grid managers, go and feast your eyes on this. Just in the UK our total annual energy consumption is expected to hit 450 terawatt-hours before 2050 (it’s a little over 300TWh at the moment). https://eelpower.co.uk/challenges-for-the-grid
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote