View Single Post
Old 16-05-2022, 17:01   #1292
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So you were really referring to all the non-premium pay TV channels when you referred to 'minor channels'!
They’re all minor, yes. I don’t think that’s a difficult concept to understand and a customary back of a cigarette paper calculation of the amounts Sky paid out to third parties puts them all in the pennies per month per subscriber tab.

Even the Sky Basics dispute in 2007 was over 90p per subscriber per month for the highest rating non-terrestrial channels according to the BARB.

Contrary to your claim that English language general entertainment will be hard to come by it’s actually widely available from a breadth of sources. The amount of new content being made vastly outstrips what any viewer can consume in a given time period. Hence the ability of Netflix (and others) to rely upon regurgitating old Friends episodes or stuff the BBC premiered years ago as they claim an extensive back catalogue of content.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My point being that the most new content is heading for the streamers. People will not continue to pay for hundreds of channels that do not screen the programmes they want to watch.
Again you portray this binary where a company with linear channels cannot stream and vice versa.

Quote:
Yes, Sky are now streaming on multiple platforms, and it's only a matter of time before satellite TV in this country ceases to exist.

The reason I am of the view that TV channels will cease to exist by 2035 is that nobody will be making programmes available to them, so they will be reliant on their own material.
They’ll go where the money is - they are not fanatical like you are about a single technology.

Quote:
When you say 'complementary' channels, I have to say that I am not yet aware of any plans for a Netflix channel, a Disney channel, an Apple channel, etc. We will get a few FAST channels, at least in the early days but I most certainly wouldn't watch them!

Even ITV is setting up their more advanced streamer site, ITVX, which will encourage people to switch to streaming because their whole series of their original dramas will be on there first. This is much more ambitious than the ITV Hub and it is a further demonstration that broadcasters are anxious to embrace the technology and phase out the old. It makes commercial sense too, because viewers who do not wish to pay a subscription will not be able to fast forward through the adverts. Advertisers will pay more for that and ultimately will steer away from the broadcast channels.
And why would the viewer go down that route over a V6 or a Sky Q?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote