View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 23:07   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freesat problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
If some channels play fine and others do not I would not think it is water damage as this would in theory effect all the channels

You could get a digital sat finder and check alignment yourself or get a friend to . These devices can be got for a tenner
Not really - the sats used to broadcast to the UK are not all in exactly the same place and correct dish alignment is a compromise between them rather than a precise alignment to any one. The dish will be better aligned to some than others (and to complicate things still further each sat beam’s footprint is different, which makes more of a difference closer to the edges, in Scotland for instance).

In short, a perfectly balanced system will be receiving signals from multiple sats at multiple strengths, and when it becomes imbalanced by anything that compromises signal strength at the set top box, some channels will be more significantly impacted than others.

(I have had a water damaged LNB, and it didn’t go from perfect to total failure overnight - it suffered degraded performance that affected some channels more than others as Nashville has described. Though in general I do agree a dish that has shifted slightly is the more likely explanation in her case).

Last edited by Chris; 05-12-2020 at 23:10.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote