View Single Post
Old 26-10-2016, 14:45   #27
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As has been stated multiple times, the bakers in this case did not refuse service based on the sexual orientation of the customer, but because they did not wish to associate with a political campaign to change the law in Northern Ireland.

As the appeal court ruling stands, it appears that legislation intended to prevent discrimination now also has the effect of compelling public statements in favour of certain beliefs or practices. It makes absolutely no difference how good or right a certain cause is perceived to be, nobody, in public or private, in business or at leisure, should be forced to do such a thing, and if that's the effect this law has had, then the law needs to change.
I understand that, but I was replying to Arthur's point about not being served.

And I don't believe they were being forced to make a 'public statement' in favour of gay marriage - they were not being forced to display the cake, just make it...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 26-10-2016 at 14:49.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote