View Single Post
Old 21-08-2016, 19:38   #63
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
It's not being addressed any more than it is now simply because it cannot be anymore addressed .It simply is not a clear cut ,black and white issue like theft or murder where evidence is available to make the decision .Bullying and name calling is subjective ,what may be bullying to some is simple teasing to others ,there is already enough legislation and procedure in place to deal with it
Evidence will be available by virtue of it being posted on the internet. During the consultation period it was unearthed that, even if someone posts something innapropriate and then subsequently deletes it, that the information remains there indefinitly to be used as evidence.

Some people employ the use of 'banter', where insults are traded between people.

Whilst it's not really my sense of humour, I understand that to some people it is. Where two people do this and nobody is offended, this is unlikely to constitute an offence.

If, however, the recipient made it clear that they did not appreciate this form of humour and it continued regardless, then it probably would constitute an offence.

I expect it to follow the social model of disability discrimination, where the test of whether something is discriminatory or offensive lies in what the recipient perceives it to be.

In essence, even if you genuinly say something meant as a joke, if the recipient perceives it to be offensive as opposed to humourous, then it is not a joke.

As an example, how do you know that someone on a forum, chatroom, social networking site isn't, for example, autistic or on suicide watch?

The short answer is that you don't, so it's always more prudent to treat others with respect, dignity and courtesy at all times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Yes, and now they are putting resources in to follow up on those breaking existing laws, who thought they were hiding behind internet anonymity...
Absolutely right Hugh

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 21-08-2016 at 19:47.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote