Thread: General Routers with 2.5Gbps LAN
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2024, 19:49   #2
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Routers with 2.5Gbps LAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
I know VM is currently 1.2Gpbs max - but is anyone here using a non-VM router with VM which provides a single 2.5Gpbs LAN port?

I know most routers only provide LAN ports which are 1Gbps max - and some routers will offer the full VM download if use aggregate the ports.

I also know the Hub5 has a 2.5Gpbs port - but looking to get the max download from VM put using my own router with a single 2.5Gbps network connection.
I have an GT-AX11000 with a 2.5Gb ethernet port, I'm on a 1Gb connection, having moved from Virgin.

Now that some City Fibre ISPs are offering up to 2.5GB, at least I have a router that will dish out that speed if I choose. However, this would only be for the purpose of sharing that bandwidth across the household. To do that I would need to purchase a switch capable of managing that bandwidth between the three Cat5e cables that cascade to the rest of our house, up to 1Gb each.

There is no point me trying to deliver 2.3Gb to any one device. This would require me to strip out all our network and replace with at least Cat6 cable and switches and network cards that can manage more than 1Gb. I have no need to go down that route.

Last edited by roughbeast; 12-01-2024 at 19:54.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote