View Single Post
Old 26-10-2021, 19:20   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Catholic Church admits Bible is BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
It has pretty much always been the Catholic position that the Bible should not be taken literally, especially when studied by lay people. It was a central point in the protestant reformation.
That’s a pretty broad statement, and I’m not sure it accurately reflects Roman Catholic teaching. I’m pretty sure that when the Bible reports Jesus’ teaching his disciples to “love your neighbour as yourself” the Roman Catholic Church teaches that is absolutely to be taken literally (though with due regard for what the Greek word rendered “love” actually means - agapāo is not erotic or romantic in this sense). Protestant churches certainly do.

I think perhaps you’re referring to passages dealing with the most ancient ages of the world - ante-diluvian history, and whether it actually is history or to be taken as figurative.