View Single Post
Old 26-10-2021, 15:22   #31
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Catholic Church admits Bible is BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I wear sandals as long as I can and never with socks. Still wearing them today.

Nice reply earlier though. I have to work out how to do an essay on Jer 31:31-40 now and then one on our union with Christ and the atonement.
With any old testament prophet, remember always that what they wrote meant something to them and to their contemporary hearers and was written into a specific point in history and so addressed things from a certain angle and with certain assumptions.

It also meant often quite specific things to the Jews of the 1st century AD - by no means all of them accepted that these things were fulfilled in Jesus. In some ways, it’s helpful to see the late 1st century as the beginning of the split between Rabbinic and Messianic Judaism, with the Messianic stream becoming what we now call Christianity.

A decent exegesis of any Old Testament text will always adequately deal with its historical and cultural background, acknowledge any textual difficulties, and consider how the text was received and used in the generations that first held it as well as by the church, both in its earliest days as well as down to today.

A temptation with any of the principal messianic texts of the OT is to treat it purely as a means of illustrating something Jesus said or did. Important as it is to do that, really getting to grips with the text requires a broader approach. Have fun!

Last edited by Chris; 26-10-2021 at 15:25.