View Single Post
Old 10-01-2023, 20:25   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Police crackdown on people using illegal services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m entertained by the “so-called” fire sticks, as if it isn’t brand name.

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

From reading the article it doesn’t read like they do intend to do anything behind knock the door. Would that need a warrant?

I’m guessing this is more about spooking the users of such services rather than prosecuting anyone.
End users might not be committing a criminal offence in any case. Theft of services is criminal under the fraud act but copyright infringement isn’t, unless you’re orchestrating it at scale. Also the police might have to prove intent for a prosecution under the Fraud Act and that could be tricky. Plenty of these Kodi things have been gifted to elderly relatives by their idiot offspring. I had to help unpick one unfortunate case at church when a parishioner was utterly mortified to discover she’d been given an illegal Christmas present by her kids.

Denting the business model by spooking the customer base is probably a more effective use of police time than trying to gather sufficient evidence to prosecute individuals.

Last edited by Chris; 10-01-2023 at 20:28.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote