View Single Post
Old 18-02-2021, 14:43   #9
sabian
cf.member

sabian is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Installing a Home Ethernet Network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
What I have been contemplating is setting up my network using PoE Mesh nodes around the house as well as wired. This way the nodes become part of the furniture with no visible wiring. With so many devices WiFi now cameras bulbs sockets and all the rest of the smart kit I am putting priority on a good WiFi network above the rest and backhauling all the Mesh network means full signal and speed everywhere
I'm notably seeing much better coverage from introducing a mesh network over just a standard router wifi.

Notably the existing house automation is done with Google Assistant, this also is linked with my LightwaveRF thermostats and light switches and works without any problems.

I was debating WAP more recently however given my mesh wifi network works great and the signal goes way beyond my property boundaries (I can get full wifi internet speeds right at the end of my garden where previously there was none), I'm not too fussed about going that route, especially as I can always purchase some additional mesh nodes and plug them into future planned ethernet ports to improve the coverage if needed.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
What ever Ethernet option you go for look at ease of upgrading cables, run channelling if possible.

Also make sure you have plenty of power sockets and consider a few unused on spare, and consider smart sockets.
Well the house needs a complete rewire and the electrics are currently in a rather shoddy state with awful plug points added onto the skirting boards (lol).

Ultimately all the plug points are being done, with a number of rooms getting additional plug points where needed, whilst on sitting down and actually thinking about how many ethernets I'll conceivably need in the future, I think dual ethernet ports are likely worth doing (so around 16 ethernet ports in total).
sabian is offline   Reply With Quote