View Single Post
Old 17-02-2021, 17:38   #1
sabian
cf.member

sabian is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Installing a Home Ethernet Network?

My house is due a rewire (it's a 1930s build) and this seems like the opportune moment to also install wired ethernet to a number of rooms in the house given they'll be trunking put into the walls to feed the sockets from under the floorboards.

This is all about future proofing, given this is the "forever" house, so want the best possible internal network to avoid any bottlenecks. I don't want to consider an updated powerline solution simple due to the bottlenecks.

The current setup is under the stairs where the broadband currently comes into the property; the router connects directly to a gigabit switch, and off of that switch we have all the connected devices including a NAS (although this is due to be upgraded to newer NAS with 4 port link aggregation), a mesh wifi network and connection to a powerline adapter which serves the living room and upstairs office (although the NAS speeds are painfully slow - 5MB/s vs 50MB/s when connected directly to the computer via ethernet.

1) what are the best options cable wise? CAT6A, CAT7, CAT8? More than happy to shell out for CAT7 or CAT8 whilst distance from port to under the stairs will be less than 30 metres in all cases

2) what's the best option for connectors if I go the CAT7 or CAT8 route give RJ45 is limited to 10Gbps? GG45 connectors which are (I believe) exactly the same and fit the same ethernet sockets as a standard RJ45 connector but ultimately allow for 40Gbps or is there a better connector option?

3) in terms of the actually wiring, I presume it's best to run a single, individual length of CAT cable from the rooms (which have a female ethernet port to connect to), to under the stairs where there is a bank of further female ethernet ports - each port then being connected to the existing gigabit switch via a suitable GG45 CAT cable?

4) for under the stairs where all the ethernet CAT7/8 cables converge, is a bank of sockets via something like one of these patch panels (https://www.amazon.co.uk/1aTTack-Net...dp/B07PXDM27G/) the best option or has someone got any recommendations?

Any thoughts or suggestions as how to achieve the best result without bottlenecks appreciated

Last edited by sabian; 17-02-2021 at 17:43.
sabian is offline   Reply With Quote