View Single Post
Old 20-12-2021, 11:56   #1042
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshep View Post
There is no way to totally protect people with laws never has been and never will be it can protect upto a point but is most effective when a person exercised sound judgments. It would be great if everyone would be nice and polite but it just isn't going to happen and it cannot be acceptable to impact the majority for the sake of the minority as down that route lies madness.

Free speech no longer exists and we even have the beginnings of a thought police personally I'd rather hear the truth from people regardless of how unpleasant or offensive it may be as that enables me to strengthen myself in dealing with those things and those types of person. I've not been a member here very long but I've read a bit of Richard's postings enough to know he'd support the total shutdown of any expression of views he doesn't like or construed to be offensive another dangerous route to go down.
So you think that the majority should always take precedence over the minority, good heavens! Thankfully society as a whole doesn't think like that.

Free speech certainly does exist and is a long held part of our British identity and culture. Free speech, however, does not mean that people can say anything that they like, now that would be a route to madness.

What you refer to as 'the truth', is often simply a matter of opinion, a personal (mis)judgement or simply a case of bullying/harassment/trolling.

I have no objection whatsoever to those with a different viewpoint to mine and never have had- isn't discussing.different viewpoints the whole point of a forum? No, my issues are with those who seek to make a debate personal, the use of lies, deliberately not taking a person's disability into account or questioning a person's disability and its affects thereof.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks, all the evidence has been submitted by our organisation and many others and it's now down to the politicians to decide how to proceed with this new legislation to protect vulnerable people on the internet. The first signs are that the committee currently scrutinising the matter don't think that the legislation goes far enough with regards to some things eg material online that encourages or drives someone to commit suicide.

Despite my own disabilities, I always strive to take into account the effects that physical or mental disabilities have on others. An autistic member, for example, is likely to view the world differently to others and truly believe that they are right. If their autism is aspergers, this can often lead to an obsession, particularly if they have other complex mental health problems/disabilities on top.

This obsessive behaviour can take many forms and can include people, hobbies, sport, personal fitness, animals etc as per this link:

https://healthtalk.org/life-autism-s...essions-autism

Regarding my own disability, those who are unsure of the effects of a serious brain injury may find this site informative:

https://www.headway.org.uk/about-bra...-brain-injury/

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The forum member in question has proven themselves to be untrustworthy numerous times.
Numerous allegations, yet nothing to support what you keep saying.

You may wish to withdraw your claim that an employee of Hearst UK has unlawfully passed on information about one of their members to yourself.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 20-12-2021 at 11:52.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote