View Single Post
Old 16-11-2023, 13:22   #77
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Re: AM Radio fading into history

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I wonder whether these frequencies are now longer available or if someone could apply to use them despite them not being advertised?
I am not sure if when Global and Bauer switch off these MW outlets, they still retain the licence to operate a service on these frequencies. The only time that either has paid a financial penalty was when Bauer switched off Absolute Radio's MW transmissions so therefore, it can be suggested that 1215 AM is the only frequency available.

The BBC's situation is ppssibly different. They can switch off any analogue service without facing any penalty and in the 1990s, the MW frequencies they surrendered were repurposed for commercial stations.

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Global also operates Smooth Kent, Hampshire & Cheshire, which will close by the end of the year (when the local ad contracts run out). This leaves LBC News in London as the last Global AM service.

US AM services have survived by operating a hybrid digital service (IBOC) in a similar fashion to the AM Stereo transmissions that are described earlier in this thread. Therefore there are also the same drawbacks that stopped AM Stereo taking off in the UK. The US also does not have the option of using DAB, as Band III is fully occupied by TV operators both on & off cable.
Thank you for the correction. I'd forgotten about LBC News still broadcasting on 1152 MW in London.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote