View Single Post
Old 20-04-2024, 22:59   #2775
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strange - Russia bombing the ordure out of Ukrainian civilian targets passes without comment from you, but when Ukraine hits military targets or oil/weapon production sites within Russia, they’re "terrorists"?

You’re not even pretending not to be pro-Putin now, are you?
No, I merely drew the distinction between co-ordinated military action with a clear goal (progressing through territory) and ad-hoc hits with limited/no strategic value.

Those are more akin to a terrorist action - Hamas on October 7th, Al Qaeda on September 11th, the IRA killing Albert Mountbatten. These have psychological effects however are of limited value in territorial terms.

Hamas have demonstrated more than ever that any ramshackle gang of limited resources could kill hundreds, if not thousands. Nobody believes they'll overthrow the Israeli (or any other) state.

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You really are going full Pravda this evening - only 17% of Ukrainians are ethnically Russia, just over a sixth, not a third…

https://www.eurac.edu/en/blogs/mobil...-s-complicated
I didn't say a third of Ukrainian people were ethnic Russians. Would love to know where the 17% live and what rights the Zelensky regime has stripped from them.

Given the accusation of being "pro-Putin" I feel I need to address this by stating I believe global security is better served by Ukraine ceding territories to Russia disputed since the not-implemented Minsk 2. I also think this was achievable in 2022 without the loss of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian conscripts. I also think without American backing that risks World War 3 this is the absolute limit of Ukrainian 'success'.

America's opportunity to go all in has been and gone. All we have now is more dead Ukanians for ever decreasing "gains". I don't think anyone else benefits from Russia getting expertise in target practice, nor their officer class getting expertise in real warfare not the kind that NATO types get on laptops and in control rooms.

Last edited by jfman; 20-04-2024 at 23:20.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote