View Single Post
Old 19-07-2022, 23:55   #1732
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

I know what you mean, this could possibly come under the 'Legal, but harmful' provisions of the bill.

I am on a forum where a member fell foul of something similar because the forum now prohibits posts that criticise any efforts to combat racism.

They said something in the same vein along the lines that, as every TV programme rushes to virtue signal how inclusive they are, where there were no black people involved, they are now stuffing them full of them to the point of it being unnatural in dramas or black people being over represented on panel shows.

He went on to say that they have gone from one unrealistic scenario to another.

I remember the writer of Midsummer Murders responded to claims of a lack of diversity because there were no people of colour in the drama retorted that, in the place where it is set, in real life there wouldn't be any people of colour living there.

I'd like to think that common sense would prevail in the process which, as I understand it at this point, is for people to report posts in the usual manner peculiar to the relevant website. If the complainant is not happy with the outcome, they can escalate it to the site owner or their formal representative. If they remain dissatisfied, they can then escalate their complaint to Ofcom who can uphold the complaint partially or in full or dismiss it and order the website to carry out any action that they require. If they don't comply, negative sanctions come in to play, including the closure of the website, fines, imprisonment etc.

Website owners will also be required to take steps to prevent inappropriate material appearing in the first place, I assume that this means by the use of software*, banning known offenders etc.

*Facebook already have software in place, but as its software, it cannot distinguish between someone posting 'I'll kill you' for a friend posting a photograph of them when they were younger or a serious threat to kill, so they have taken on a lot more human moderators.

I don't believe that the complaint has to directly concern the complainant, it is enough for them to find the comments offensive, either to themselves or anyone else.

The police can be brought in at any time, but it's envisaged that this will only be done in the most serious of cases.

Existing legislation for things like libel, harrassment, discrimination etc will still be available through the judicial system.

I haven't seen any mention of any appeals process for website owners, moderators etc who disagree with any decision or decision to punish them, but I would assume and hope that there will be.

One of the contenders to be the next Prime Minister, Kemi Badenoch, who had concerns about the legal, but harmful provisions of the bill has just been ousted from the contest, but this does show that elected representatives are, quite rightly, examining the bill and raising any concern that they have and it will, of course, have to pass through the House of Lords for consideration too.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 20-07-2022 at 00:17. Reason: Spelling/punctuation Fac RDA.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote