View Single Post
Old 25-01-2021, 09:09   #242
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
No one ever plans for "worst case scenarios" - we planned for the loss of one site out of three geographically diverse sites, we never planned for losing two or three, because the implication was that the country had been nuked or bio/chem attacks had crippled the country, so no one would really be that fussed about education or financial lending in that scenario.

We are talking about small to medium businesses here - after the Brexit Referendum, everyone (inc. businesses) were told that a deal would be reached; it’s only in the last year or so that things "heated up" and the likelihood of "no deal" became apparent; this is at the same time as COVID hit, so no, most of the people I know who run small businesses (employing under a hundred people) had contingency plans in place for a No Deal Brexit, because they didn’t know what the impact of that would be.
Yeah, business continuity is a great of scary subject! There's a good reason why the company I work for has its manufacturing in relatively safe countries in terms of political and environmental safety. It's expensive but worth it ad it gets you a nice ISO 22301 certificate. Even then, companies can get caught out. We had a major crisis when a critical raw material went off line as it was made in a factory in Fukoshima, Japan a while back.

My company was lucky in a sense as we mainly import goods as we only have a small amount of manufacturing in the UK but our central warehouse is in the EU. However, we have a centralised customer service team which includes people who serve non-EU/EEA countries (Russia, Israel, middle east etc.) People working in that 'export' team were able to train up the UK customer service team and we have grown the UK team by 30% to handle the extra work. The costing was £450k to set everything up with an ongoing £150k per year
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote