View Single Post
Old 22-08-2007, 21:26   #20
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: Troubled times for home networks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
That is interesting! So if I understand correctly, you used to have a 10ms but unstable signal, and now have a 15ms but stable signal. I wonder if the extra 5ms is a function of the distance between homeplug devices?
I used to get as low as 1 - 2 ms on the wireless when pinging the router but i used to get spikes of 2000ms or more or total packetloss very regularly

ive seen about 5ms to the router on the homeplugs and it sometimes goes up to about 8ms if the network is very busy but yet cs:source reports a 15ms ping to some of the UK servers, since i switched to using homeplugs i hardly ever get any Lag issues playing FPS games and when I do its usally becuase im playing on a US server.

Played the ETQW beta2 the other week for several hours with no problem what so ever

My connection goes though a wired switch then the homeplug to get to the router...

Quote:
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 33, Received = 33, Lost = 0 (0% l
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 4ms
Control-C
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote