Old 29-01-2022, 07:54   #280
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: VM News Another Price Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
I spoke to someone in the UK.
Sure, but I was talking about my experience.

In my experience, places like India, the Philippines, Thailand etc are known to be rife with bribery, corruption etc. It's perfectly possible, even the norm, for even their police to accept bribes to make criminal offences go away.

I've just been reading an account about a group of lads who were on holiday. One of them sneaked off from the main party and was found having sex with an underage boy. His friends had no idea that he was into such things. Anyway, the boys mother called the police to make a complaint and the offender was put into a local police cell for three days and let out after money was paid to the police and the boys mother. He would have got into much more trouble over here, but money talks in these places where money is tight.

So, what I meant regarding the foreign call centre that Virgin use is that, in such countries, it's probably viewed as acceptable to go back on an agreement and simply try to bat away any complaint as "a mistake". Thankfully it doesn't work like that in the UK. They obviously draw upon their in experiences and culture. I once mentioned that my TV had broken and she thought that I was expecting Virgin to replace it, so I was advised that "I had to go to the market" to buy another one! I didn't bother explaining that I would never buy a television from a market

What we would regard as being ripped off would simply be seen as a successful business transaction by them.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 29-01-2022 at 08:05.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote