Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 14:53   #32
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

They did not necessarily die from the virus, they simply died with 28 days of a positive test. They could have been runover, died from natural causes, had a heart attack, accident, or any other number of things. In fact, they could have had no CV symptoms at all.

Why on earth cant we simply count those actually killed by the virus.
The odds of dying from a car crash within 28 days of any particular point in time is quite low, so you can mostly discount it.

The question of comorbidities makes it an academic question. If I'm running from a lion and having covid makes me unable to outrun the lion, is Covid responsible for my death or is the lion?

Compare situations:

Patient B has diabetes then catches covid and dies, they could have lived another 60 years so surely that can be blamed on covid

Patient A has cancer then catches covid and dies, they were probably going to die in the next year or 2 anyway. So is it fair to count that as covid?

Basically they would have to ask doctors to decide the reason of death and they would have to make some educated guess and this just side steps that whole thing.