View Single Post
Old 28-12-2022, 15:13   #11100
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That length of term issue is key when crucial rights like the Premier League are involved. I wonder what they will do at the next auction? Could they go for five years?
My sense is that the Premier League are most risk averse. At £11bn the global TV rights is the golden goose that underpins the value of the “franchises” to use the US term.

Rolling over the old contracts under the guise of COVID suggests a trepidation around the uncertainty. The fall in the value of the UK 2019-22 rights - correctly foreseen by Sky - and being unable to draw “streamers” meaningfully into the auction raises a lot of questions. As we enter a recession (for how long?) and central banks raise interest rates one could easily argue the market is more, not less, precarious.

I suspect the Premier League would want to see someone else - UEFA, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc. test out a new model first and see how the sums add up.

A broadcaster - not known - was certainly in advanced talks regarding the proposed Super League. If anyone wants to revive it’s corpse they’ll also have to tread carefully before making long term commitments.

UEFA could potentially consider Europe-wide rights to bring a streamer to the table. Even secondary rights (first/second picks in a given territory being sold as they are now). This would give a streaming service a massive market (400m+ people) and content most months of the season - a springboard from which to take on domestic leagues and cups around Europe.

Last edited by jfman; 28-12-2022 at 15:19.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote