View Single Post
Old 25-12-2022, 21:48   #11093
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
If the UK market was as massive as the US market, maybe they would do something similar here, alas it isn't.
I agree on the point of the massive market - but I'll also add that it's a seven year deal.

Rights owners on this side of the pond have traditionally viewed short windows (3 years) as keeping operators on their toes, allowing them to ride the crest of the pay-tv wave as it has increased.

However I've been banging the drum for some time now that a barrier to entry for anyone is that they start from 0 customers and have to turn that around in year 3 into a profit to run the risk of being dumped because someone else comes along to blow you out the water.

If the Premier League, UEFA or anyone else wants Silicon Valley to blow the incumbents out the water it needs to give them the space to develop a product offering and customer base and generate a return for a number of years. Equally it should invite disproportionately higher bids from incumbents for the same reason - it allows them to close the door on a challenge for a longer period.

Last edited by jfman; 25-12-2022 at 22:02.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote