View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 17:40   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: AM Radio fading into history

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Just about as close as they can get to each other without interference. The same was true in London although slightly further apart (BBC Radio London on 1458, Capital Radio on 1548).

As far as Radio City is concerned, this was the biggest AM blunder the IBA made as regards radio sites. The original AM site was a 3 mast directional array at Rainford. However, the IBA had not accounted for the fact that the phased signal would cross the water, hit north Wales & come back out of phase. There were many comments that reception was better in Blackpool than in Merseyside. The mast was moved to a new site next to Port Sunlight (Bebington) a few years later.
Back in the day, BBC Merseyside and City both preferred to advertise their AM service as metres rather than KHz. I guess they just fitted better on window stickers. The BBC was on 202 and Radio City was 194 - which was the basis of their name and their main jingle well into the 1980s when it was our evening listening of choice (they went deep into the comedy jock genre with this bloke who called himself Cousin Matty IIRC, may have been (but probably wasn’t) American, had an echo effect permanently on his mic and had people phone in to pledge allegiance to him (I will have no other leader!).

One … Nine … Four … Radio Ci-tyyyyy!

Around the mid-late 80s the BBC’s on-the-hour preamble to the news was a lot more pedestrian, something along the lines of “On fourteen eighty five kilohertz, and ninety five point eight FM VHF in stereo, this is Radio Merseyside”. This was my mother’s station of choice.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote