View Single Post
Old 13-05-2021, 15:14   #898
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Britain outside the EU

Here it is from the horse’s mouth (the Jersey Government)

http://www.gov.je/News/2021/Pages/FisheriesUpdate.aspx
Quote:
The UK and Jersey have defended Jersey’s new fishing licences for EU vessels. Jersey has indicated its willingness to work with the Commission and French Authorities to resolve the current concerns. Jersey has confirmed that it remains open to considering a range of evidence of a qualifying fishing vessel’s track record, and that it will amend licences if further evidence is provided.

As a sign of good faith, Jersey has offered to give recently licensed French vessels until 1 July 2021 to provide further evidence of their track record. It has been made clear that any outstanding evidence must be provided during this period.

This extension to 1 July applies only to VMS vessels now licensed under the TCA and is not an extension of the previous Bay of Granville amnesty, which provided a general extension for all VMS vessels licensed under that agreement.

The letter also confirms that Jersey is ready to act swiftly to ensure that vessels which submit the required additional evidence to demonstrate their previous fishing record in Jersey waters, will have that reflected in their licence and their activities will not be disrupted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I can't see what the French are arguing about in the Jersey licence.
https://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDoc...0Schedule2.pdf

There's no point in providing a selective quote as there's nothing to compare it with.

The EU/UK Cooperation agreement says the following on page 274 (my emphasis):
https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/re...X-1-PART-1.PDF

For certain, the "qualifying vessels" were licensed in according with the Agreement's requirements, "demonstration" being key to what has actually transpired.

From my reading, the row about the conditions of the licence hinges on the term "extent and nature". The Agreement is otherwise silent on the conditions (unless thare is something about allocation of stocks that would take the rest of my life to fathom in the Agreement).

Seems to me that the French fishermen don't like the effects of Brexit. Sod 'em. The EU should have thought of that before creating conditions that drove us out.

Excellent passive-aggressiveness there - we didn’t want to leave, they made us do it…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote