View Single Post
Old 29-04-2020, 12:40   #100
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Movie news, trivia and other snippets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No matter how good your home rig is, it is not going to match the equipment in the cinemas that the film was made for.
Exactly, and Disney, Lucasfilm, Marvel etc know that they are going to make more money releasing films as cinema-only than they will if they do dual release or on demand only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I can't believe any serious director, or any talented head of department, would want that.
you can call it artistic snobbery or not moving with the times but putting the bean counters aside, people who make these films do it because they want people to enjoy them and I have said quite a few times recently with series (like The Mandalorian) and films that sometimes we don't realise how much effort and thought go into them. It isn't just a straight forward process of writing a story, making a script, make the sets and film it. It would be a disservice to the creators to simply dismiss the final product and think of it purely as a commercial venture and how they can make the most $$$. My hope is that if certain studios like Universal go down that route without consultation, you'll start getting very prominent directors grouping together and refusing to make films for those studios and only working with studios that will guarantee a cinema release so they know that fans can enjoy the ultimate experience as they had envisaged. As soon as you get people like Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese chipping in things will change.

Perhaps the way to go forward might be a limited theatrical run of 4 weeks and then immediate on demand availability. I think that should be happening now anyway. I cringe at the thought of going back to 20 years ago when most films would be released 3-4 weeks after the US at cinemas over here and then it would be another 9 months for video/dvd release.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote