View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 22:15   #3894
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
I think it is designed to help those clubs in the lower leagues. If a reasonably loyal fan of Bristol Rovers, who watches many home games and who supports Liverpool as their "second team" had a choice of watching Bristol Rovers v York City while it is very cold and raining or Liverpool V Everton at 3 P.M on Sky or B.T, I think many people would stay in the comfort of their home and watch Liverpool v Everton.

This scenario would ruin many lower league teams.
I understand the purpose of the rule but the opinion that it's based on dates back to the 60's, and was disputed by the European Court of Justice in 2011. In addition only Austria, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Georgia, Montenegro and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia bother to block broadcasting hours.

I guess you'd have to ask fans in, for example, Germany if their game is suffering as a result...