View Single Post
Old 29-04-2020, 12:04   #98
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Movie news, trivia and other snippets

It is going to be interesting to see how things pan out with this because tbh it is a logical progression so far as distribution goes just as the BBC and license fee. It is a win-win for the studios because they are going to potentially attract a greater audience who wouldn't normally pay to go to the cinema however no matter which way you look at it, it is going to negatively impact cinema chains.

Everyone loves going to the cinema but it is a very costly venture. My friends moan all the time that a family ticket costs £37 and on top of that you have got sweets, drinks and parking so a trip to the cinema is £60 a time. Compare that with staying in and paying £10, £15 or £20 to watch it on demand and you are saving a fortune. You are obviously making a compromise in so far as the experience goes but some parents will make it because in the long term it will allow their children to watch more new films for the same price. I have got a limitless card so I technically get to go to the cinema for free but even for me every time I go it is £2 extra for a premiere seat, £5 parking and £10-£12 for lunch from Costa or a nachos combo etc so each visit is still the best part of £20. I am happy to pay for the experience because going to the cinema is a hobby for me but you can definitely see how staying at home will appeal to some people and definitely put a dent in cinema revenue.

Like I said, it makes sense going forward just as magazines and newspapers are available online now and you don't have to go to the shop to buy a paper copy. The question is what it means for cinema chains. I can't see a way around it and if other studios follow suit you may see a climatic shift in the way cinemas operate. I think blockbusters are safe for now but you are only talking about a handful of films every year. Who needs to go and see stuff like Downton Abbey at the cinema. Maybe they are the sort of titles which can be migrated to on demand and will prove to be more profitable for the studios.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No Universal releases in any Odeon in the U.K.? That’s going to be needlessly self-harming.
What about Jurassic Park? I have got a large screen tv and Bose surround sound system which is amazing but it still won't come close to watching something like Jurassic Park at the cinema.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote