View Single Post
Old 31-08-2005, 10:42   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Worst thing you've done to a computer

A few things myself and my friends have done to various PCs..

One, I unplugged an IDE data cable without realising the PC was one.. Luckily the hard drive was fine (it was a researchers, and he had years of research on it, none of which was backed up), but the motherboard IDE interface was trashed. Luckily I was able to plug in an IDE interface and get it working without him noticing.

My boss plugged in a SCSI data cable slightly out of alignment with the pins and set fire to it (I kid you not - a flame shot up the middle wire).

I also blew up one of the Uni's then state of the art 15 inch Hitachi monitors when I tried to set the refresh rate too high (this was before the days when monitors shut down when you sent them the wrong refresh rate).

Going back further, I hacked into the administrator account on our school network, and was able to play all the games our teacher didn't think we knew about.. The funniest part of that whole few weeks was when a friend and I were testing the schoole network we had just helped extend. I was in a room on the third floor, and my friend was in the computer room and we were using a chat program. My friend started to pretend to be the head of computing, and carried on doing a convincing impression (in text anyway). Trouble is, he didn't realise, the head of computing was standng behind me reading everything he was saying. He got a few detentions out of that.

Oh, and a couple of times, I have been known to format my PC without checking I have an up to date and readable backup.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote