View Single Post
Old 09-01-2023, 20:08   #63
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: E10 petrol - the pitfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The primary route for water contamination in fuels was determined to be via condensation in fuel tanks, not by simple contact with damp air. The droplets would sink to the bottom of the tank and be absorbed by the ethanol as it broke down by phase separation, which could take weeks or months, depending on conditions.

According to CSP (https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels/3...ase-separation) it only takes 40 gallons of water in 10,000 gallons of E10 to cause phase separation. That's 250:1, so in a 50 litre Logan fuel tank, just 20cl of water would do it. That's less than a pub measure of spirits.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

They changed the front disks, hubs, callipers and pads in December 2021. They also changed a back tyre.

When I took the car for that same tyre to be repaired elsewhere after picking up a nail, I was told that they were having difficulty getting the wheel nuts back on. They showed me stripped threads in the hub.

They managed to get the wheel on secure, but suggested the hub be changed.

So l took the car to the original garage for it's service and MOT in December 2022. No call from them later in the day, but they sometimes take 2 days to get it done, so I didn't call until early the next day. No-one answered the phone. Several phone calls didn't get answered throughout the day. But on the third day they answered, blaming a glitch that cut their phones off.

The boss came on the phone and said that my car was a write-off. Their pneumatic hammer tools that tighten the wheel nuts had been wrongly calibrated by an outside firm, and had been tightening them far too much. He had spent 2 days trying to find replacement parts, both front and rear hubs, but they were in stock nowhere, even in Czechia where they were made.

A few other customers had their hub threads stripped also, and one went to Trading Standards. The garage owner was told to recall all vehicles they had removed and replaced wheels on. That was in the summer of 2022, but for some reason my car had not been recalled.

He reported my car as "damaged beyond repair" to Trading Standards and their own insurance company, including photos and bills for the work that had been done, in 2021 and 2022.

It's with the insurance companies now, so I expect a fat cheque at some point.
What was the valuation of your old car?