View Single Post
Old 29-10-2023, 20:19   #534
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Hamas Israel War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Offensive operations in pursuit of national defence are justified. But it is quite possible to go too far even in an existential struggle. Is anyone at the top of the Israeli government asking those questions? Because it doesn’t look like it right now.
Parallels between WWII are inevitable. The allies did not need to obliterate Dresden, or drop the Atomic bombs on Japan. The war was won already.

The damage caused by the atomic weapons wasn’t much worse from conventional bombing but it showed what 1no. Bomb could do v’s hundreds of conventional ones. Did they need to drop another?

The difference is, Israel’s objectives have not yet been met. Hamas has not been destroyed and their infrastructure has not been destroyed.

Until they’re satisfied, I think they’ll continue.

---------- Post added at 20:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
"Bleating about civilians" isn't a bias.

I'd say there's a major difference between a terror group numbering the small tens of thousands people in a controlled territory and Nazi Germany - which at it's peak covered about an area of Europe comprising 280 million people and all the industrial capabilities that come with.

Hamas are tiny opportunists by comparison.

The elections are a complete red herring and no justification for the killing of civilians - which it seems somewhat to be implied.
Comparisons between WWII and this are unhelpful, I’ve done it myself. Maybe some parallels can be drawn but they should scrutinised as to their relevance.