View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 12:39   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
How does 4G LTE manage download and upload speeds?

Just for curiosity really. Now we have the whole family home all day and everyone accessing school or work remotely, our rural ADSL really can’t cope - especially as so much of the stuff the schools are setting is useful/educational viewing of iPlayer or YouTube. Our 3.75mbps down and 0.5mbps up is fairly hopeless and when someone starts uploading documents it comes to a grinding halt.

Soooo, I have bought an add-on for my EE phone for unlimited data, fixed the phone to my dining room window and effectively created a second work hotspot for me and missus. It works really well with a Mac mini, a windows surface and an iPad attached to it. However I’ve been having strange fun juggling with radio signals, as because we are so remote this too is a problem. In the attached photo, the phone is receiving a signal that delivers about 7mbps down and 3mbps up. However, if I move the phone literally 3 inches up and 3 inches to the right, the download shots up to around 20mbps and the download collapses to about 0.7mbps.

I have tried various placements of the phone over the past week, before I brought the car cradle in I had it attached to my camera tripod with a phone mount. Again, moving the tripod only a few inches around the window space produces either a nice balance between down and up, or massive down and next to no up. There’s no middle ground, it’s always one or the other.

So who can tell me what is going on?!

For the record, I need up more than down because I’m doing a lot of video conferencing and Facebook live broadcasts for my church, so 6/3 works better for me than 20/0.7.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A28B755D-90A3-4F05-8D7F-1A2B55D7A4AF.jpeg (141.7 KB, 84 views)
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote