View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 14:14   #100
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Owen Paterson: Anger as Tory MP avoids suspension in rule shake-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Nope. You are conflating the idea of having an appeals process with letting Paterson off.

An appeals process is simply natural justice. As for who could hear the appeal, I have already suggested that it could be a separate committee of MPs. It could be the commissioner as long as he had not already been involved in the case, but alternatively it could be a committee of the House of Lords. It doesn’t matter really, as long as they are able to come to an independent decision.

As far as Paterson himself is concerned, the correct thing to have done would have been to suspend the decision pending a procedure change which was lacking in the process and that would benefit MPs of all persuasions in the future. This doesn’t mean that Paterson would be let off. It would simply mean that his concerns would be addressed. The penalty may well remain in place, but I guess we will never know now, will we?
The correct decision is he be prosecuted instead of being allowed to resign in disgrace and trouser an MP pension at the cost of the public purse.

The House of Lords don’t make me laugh - remind me who paid for Boris’ last holiday?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote