View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 21:59   #429
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Ofcom have a reputation of being a toothless tiger so far as TV/Radio regulation is concerned. However, if they are successful in running the UK scheme to deal with internet abuse, it appears that they will be a lot stricter where 'Protected Characteristics' are concerned.

An LBC presenter made a joke about a blind man using a guide horse instead of a guide dog. It wasn't a very good joke, but I didn't find it offensive (there again, i'm not severely sight impaired).

Ofcom are to force Global (the owner of LBC) to employ another person in the studio whenever this presenter is on air to ensure compliance of their standards. If anything similar happens again, more formal and severe sanctions will be imposed, which could ultimately lead to huge fines or having their licence to broadcast revoked.
Following the Ofcom ruling, Saleem (the blind man referred to by Steve Allen) expected him or LBC to get in contact with him to apologise for the remarks or to ask him how he's doing at the very least. This was not forthcoming, so he has now confirmed that legal advice is being taken with a view to taking action on the grounds of disability discrimination. He does not accept that having a certain radio technique or style should be an excuse for disability discrimination.

In response, Steve Allen has stated that he was aware that his comments had the capacity to cause offence, but that it "was not his intention to treat the blind community with insensitivity".

It was a listener to the show who complained to Ofcom, not Saleem (or myself).

It just goes to show that an apology goes a long way, but it appears that Mr Allen finds this to be beneath him.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote