View Single Post
Old 25-04-2024, 15:36   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Labour plans to sort-of-not-quite-oh-go-on-then nationalise the railway

I’m not certain of the value of buying a lot of second hand rolling stock or shelling out a fortune to nationalise the companies that own them. If Labour wants to bring rolling stock procurement back under state control I suspect they are going to have to simply stop using the leasing companies and buy direct from manufacturers, reducing and eliminating the RoSCos role in our railways over time. They could of course go the whole hog and try to re establish BREL (British Rail Engineering Limited) or something like it. There is absolutely no chance of such a body designing and building everything we need though. In the globalised market for the design and manufacture of rolling stock I fear we have long since lost what advantage we had.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote