Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2022)
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2022, 03:23   #1261
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
That came out of nowhere...to me anyway. Many thanks.
If you track DBR (or similar) bitrate data / graphs, it is often possible to see when services are about to be added. Null packets change from a relatively low fixed bitrate to a higher variable bitrate. As if the additional services have been added to transport stream distribution but are not being extracted and are replaced with null packets at local networks.

There are usually no indications of what these "background" additions are, so not really useful to know that an unknown service is about to be added. It has been quite some time since Virgin made HD replacements visible for days before they launched. You won't know what the new services are but may get a clue about an imminent change.

---------- Post added at 03:21 ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
Are Virgin Media set to launch a new HD Channel?

I have just seen over on DBR that Virgin are "testing" a new channel called "Test Barker" on a HD Stream.

You can view it on CO56 slot 6.

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en
It has been there since the start of November, initially only on the Hammersmith internal network and later added to CDT Portsmouth (which is one of the internal networks used for new services before they are released to the wider network). Possibly just an internal test service.

---------- Post added at 03:23 ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
I was surprised to see ITVX launch on my V6. I think they’re going to dangle Disney+ and Paramount+ at us 360 refuseniks in the hope that we’ll “upgrade”
But to Fire TV or Roku etc.