Thread: British culture
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2021, 17:29   #71
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: British culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I think it is a healthy discussion to have but I got the feeling along with Hugh and Chris that you were stating that Islam is not compatible with British culture which becomes an issue when you have British Muslims. This could give the impression that Muslims are 'less British' and there lies a slippery slope. If there are different classes of British citizens, I think we have a problem.

Taking you example of there being a point in the future where there is a Muslim majority voting for the Muslim Party, is that not democracy? Say, hypothetically, that 52% of the population voted to invoke Shariah law, is it right or wrong to go with this?

I agree on your point BTW on the Shariah courts, an equal level of scrutiny should be applied to all extra judicial court systems such as Beth Din
Quote:
Taking you example of there being a point in the future where there is a Muslim majority voting for the Muslim Party, is that not democracy? Say, hypothetically, that 52% of the population voted to invoke Shariah law, is it right or wrong to go with this?
I come from the position that democracy is used by the causes of those that will abolish democracy. See Hitler and Mugabe for obvious details and various rigged elections elsewhere.. There is no guarantee that it won't happen again and I can only see one loosely democratic Muslim country. My fears are not irrational, albeit if the materialise it's well into the future.

Quote:
I think it is a healthy discussion to have but I got the feeling along with Hugh and Chris that you were stating that Islam is not compatible with British culture which becomes an issue when you have British Muslims. This could give the impression that Muslims are 'less British' and there lies a slippery slope. If there are different classes of British citizens, I think we have a problem.
There is no different class of British citizen in my mind. Citizenship and culture are very different things. At the moment, British culture dominates and, naturally, it unquestionably tolerates other cultures. It's just that I feel that a particular culture, when in power, is unlikely to tolerate minority cultures.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote