Thread: British culture
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2021, 17:00   #69
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: British culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It is a tricky subject where we have to tread carefully.
Chris has already suggested that I have made racist assertions; that was quick and of course, he is completely wrong.

Let's look at what you've said logically. You've taken my point about the evolution of British culture to include the effect of non-British culture exercised by people of an obviously different culture but who are also British by reason of laws and rights.

And here we probably part company. Citizenship is one thing, but a competing or incompatible culture is another.

Cast forward to a date in the future when the Muslim population reaches sufficient numbers to have a majority in Parliament. In your reasoning, British culture will have evolved so that Shariah law, for example, would be at the forefront.

There is a government report into Sharia Law. Obviously Sharia Councils serve a required function under Islam; decisions can be enforced by an application made to the English courts who ensure that the decisions are not incompatible with English law. It is of interest to me that the BETH DIN (Jewish) and ROMAN CATHOLIC COUNCIL are not subject to such safeguards. Hence my regular reference to Judeo-Christian input to British culture.

Am I being racist or am I examining the question rather more fully than the likes of Hugh or Chris can appreciate?

I think it is a healthy discussion to have but I got the feeling along with Hugh and Chris that you were stating that Islam is not compatible with British culture which becomes an issue when you have British Muslims. This could give the impression that Muslims are 'less British' and there lies a slippery slope. If there are different classes of British citizens, I think we have a problem.

Taking you example of there being a point in the future where there is a Muslim majority voting for the Muslim Party, is that not democracy? Say, hypothetically, that 52% of the population voted to invoke Shariah law, is it right or wrong to go with this?

I agree on your point BTW on the Shariah courts, an equal level of scrutiny should be applied to all extra judicial court systems such as Beth Din
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote