View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 19:21   #363
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What I am saying is that your approach is a step nearer to the thought police. A huge problem is that we all have a different opinion of what is acceptable.

If you draw the line at threatening behaviour, everyone understands that.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Starting with oneself, of course.
This is an excellent example of what I was referring to when I mentioned posts that were malicious in nature and purposely designed to stir things up. The accusation is also very ironic, given that at one point you were running rings around a member with learning difficulties who has since stopped posting.

You didn't answer my question as to what it is that you feel you would be prevented from saying when Ofcom (or whoever) clamp down on innapropriate postings.

Everyone does indeed have a different approach to what is acceptable, which is why fully trained and impartial moderators (paid for by the sites) will look at reports and make a decision as to what action, if any, needs to be taken (whilst taking into account that they have a duty of care to their users, some who may have specific needs or problems). This could be anything from dismissing the complaint, to giving a word of advice, to varying sanctions right through to legal action.

Any party who felt aggrieved would be able to appeal to a higher body or take legal action themselves, but most people are reasonable and I expect that the majority will behave with good grace.

The vast majority of people manage to use the internet without trying or actually causing problems for other (often vulnerable, disadvantaged or minority groups) in any way.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
They can only get tough on UK based people, people outside the UK can and will say "Fuff you"
It's intended that regulators from around the world will come together to perform a 'global assault' on those who use the internet innapropriately:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...buses-protect/

The term 'innapropriately' covers everything from grooming children, to fraud to the harrassment of (often vulnerable) people be it due to age, physical or mental disability, sexuality etc.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 11-11-2018 at 19:18.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote