View Single Post
Old 25-08-2022, 13:58   #21
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: iPhone 14 Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
The thing to remember is that Apple manufacture their products in their own specification. The software, the hardware, the components used, the repairing processes - it's all controlled. This is what allows them to make devices and software that works so much better. They control the quality. They control the integrations. They control what the software on their devices can do. They are inherently more secure, more stable and more reliable as a result of this.

Allowing anyone to 'repair' their devices means that 3rd party manufacturers will be making cheaper parts that are not up to the same standard that Apple designed their systems to utilise, so you end up with a sub-standard piece of kit.

iPhones, you say, are locked down. In what respect are they locked down? Because you cannot easily install and run an application on the phone that has not been vetted? That you have no idea what it is doing in the background? What data could those applications be harvesting?

Android is like Windows. It's a generic OS that has to be made to work with so much hardware it becomes an issue. More bugs, more flaws, more security holes all over the place. Is the user experience and security compromise worth being able to change the theme of your icons? Not in my view.

So yes, Apple products are more expensive. But they have been designed from the ground up with the hardware and software designed to work harmoniously together, providing a much better end-user experience. They are a premium product for a reason.

I get not everyone cares for or wants an Apple device in their life, but more often than not, the anti-Apple protestors are those who have not had very much, or indeed any experience of an Apple device in their day-to-day lives. And that is fine - no one has to. However, I know far, far more people who have gone from Apple to Android and then gone back to Apple. Very, Very few people I know have done the opposite. And whilst this is only my experience and may not be representative overall, in any conversation I have had with others on this topic, they recite the same experiences with their friends and acquaintances.

In summary, Apple products are more expensive, but you pay the premium for hardware and software that is designed and built for one another. No 3rd party specifics involved. They are inherently more secure as everything is in one eco-system and their products all tie in and work seamlessly with one another. Want to carry on with your iMessage conversation on your laptop or desktop now you're at home? Sure. Want to open up your music player and see all the changes you made on another device automatically synced? OK.

At the end of the day, people should just get what suits their needs. If you want cheap and functional, do that. If you want to spend more on something else, do that. It simply doesn't matter. Most manufactures and OS versions have their pros and cons. For my wants and needs, Apple wins hands down and I'm happy to pay a little more for it. They just work, no fuss.

As Mac % share in both the home and business market increases more and more attention by those attempting to perform exploits.

In fact in the past few days Apple have had to implement multiple fixes for 0 day vulnerabilities that were being actively exploited in the wild. (iOS 15.6.1, Safari 15.6.1 & a kernel patch for MacOS Monterey. These exploits were also devastatingly easy to deploy and implement.

Furthermore someone at Blackhat demonstrated a method of bypassing EVERY SINGLE layer of system protection including SIP & the entire Secure Enclave.

MacOS in the enterprise ? Good luck, even the best MDM solution (JAMF nee Casper) isn't a patch on using Microsoft Endpoint Manager or good old SCCM/Configuration Manager with a W10 or W11 laptop. DEP can be defeated by simply not selecting an internet connection at the first boot startup phase. You can't even control updates properly

Don't get me wrong, I like apple, it fits the ecosystem in which I work, but lets not fall into the trap of believing it's ultra secure, or the best hardware possible, because, it isn't.