View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:59   #12
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Help setting up network

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB

Firstly, when I renamed my SSID the laptop refused to connect to the internet via the wireless card. As soon as I changed it back to the default, it worked.
Did you change the SSID on the laptop as well?

With the new name did the laptop connect to the router? Could you ping (**) the router or the other systems at the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
My biggest headache now is this:
I've set up my main PC to connect to two laptop which are BOTH hardwired to the router (if that's the correct term i.e. NOT wireless). Both the laptops will see each other's files I've designated and the ones on my main PC. However, my main PC will only see one of the laptops! When I try to look at the other one I'm told it cannot find the network, yet both are set up exactly the same. I've been ythrough the proccess three times today and ended up having a row with myself over it

Any ideas?
First thing I would check as above is whether you can ping all the computers :

** How to Ping (Apologies if you know this!) - On each system open a command prompt (<Start>,<Run>, "cmd") and type

ipconfig /all

When you have all your local IP addresses (should be 192.168.1.nnn, probably 100 upwards for default Linksys) you should verify that all systems can see each other,eg :

ping 192.168.1.100

If any one cannot see the others there is some connectivity issue with the router.

If everyone can see everyone else, try doing :

net view \\computername
or
net view \\<ip address>
on the system with problems

Let us know if these produce errors. If the bottom works but not the top there could be a name resolution problem. If both fail, there could be a security accounts problem. If so, have a look in the event viewer (<start>,<run>,"eventvwr") in the Security log for any failed logins and post back.

HTH (and apologies if I've missed anything obvious)
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote