Thread: The boat people
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 17:02   #36
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The boat people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

I'm not "down on the Committee system" at all. I was asking Hugh what was wrong with the Bill as drafted rather than commenting on the process. Indeed it has gone through Parliament (Commons) so it can't all be bad.

My question to Hugh arose because I thought that if Labour is going to whinge abut migrant numbers they should not oppose a Bill that finishes the job that Boris failed to do.

What’s wrong with the Bill as drafted is that it has not had adequate scrutiny. At this stage the lack of process *is* the problem. The ‘Committee of the Whole House’ is a process used deliberately to shorten time set aside for scrutiny and the fact that it has happened that way rather than through a full select committee process gives us every right to be concerned that it could be all bad.

Unintended consequences can be disastrous, and we ought to expect thorough process from the sovereign law-making institution of the land.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote