Thread: Pronouns
View Single Post
Old 18-08-2022, 14:20   #53
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Pronouns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Perhaps.

Sorry for my incomplete earlier reply, due to stuff happening.

Yes, gender dysmorphia is a thing. It is also (whisper it) disproportionately present in those with an autistic spectrum condition compared to the general population. As a disorder, it deserves appropriate medical treatment and management. That, however, is becoming mired in loaded terms like “conversion therapy” at the same time as others are being accused of hate speech for “misgendering” people through use of incorrect pronouns.

This is the effect of critical gender theory, which is using gender issues as just another line of attack on what are identified as “power structures”. In other words it’s one front on the culture war that those waging it are always quick to deny exists.

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Fair points all, though it appears here that you are (unconsciously I think) casting tolerance and empathy as a one-way street. Compelled speech is outlawed by the HRA for good reason. One person’s right to believe something does not demand any other person’s affirmation. I consciously do not affirm the hypothesis that there are multiple genders because I believe the arguments are loaded in pursuit of a wider social agenda that has little concern for those who are genuinely suffering a psychological disorder that deserves to be treated without social theorists watching for opportunities to scream about patriarchy, prejudice and hatred.

“Things always change” isn’t a convincing argument in favour of any given proposition. The proposals put by gender theorists are not inevitable. And in point of fact I think millennia of things *not* changing in this regard is very persuasive. We are being asked to believe that human power structures have somehow totally suppressed something that, if true, would be fundamental to human nature, through all recorded history and possibly for as long as humans have walked the earth. And that those working in shiny new queer studies departments in western universities have somehow only now blown the lid off it.

I find that to be staggering in its arrogance and in its lack of self awareness and humility, given the magnitude of the issues they profess to be expert in.
Fair points also....

Tolerance & empathy as you say is a two way street, I'd expect someone who requested you to adhere to their pronouns to give you the same respect to something that held a deep and meaningful significance to you.

Whilst the proposals put in motion as you say are not inevitable it stands to reason that there will be a degree of resultant change, how big or significant a change? who knows. Butterflies... flapping wings... earthquakes......