Thread: General City Fibre
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2021, 22:36   #8
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: city fibre

City fibre are deploying a fibre network and any internet provider in any area could supply services over their network. At present they have deal with Vodafone to use their network but it not as exclusive a deal as it was at first

https://www.telcotitans.com/vodafone...e/1010.article

City Fibre are a genuine national player. They’re building metro/access full fibre networks and they’re nationally connected via the old Torch fibre rings they bought from KCom a few years ago.

Although speaking to people, they’re not getting great penetration. Less than 20% i was told. To be fair their roll out costs may be lower using BT PIA & poles and therefore not digging, but still, I was always on the impression generally that less than 30% penetration was an issue v the cost of investment.

I think any altnet going up against a VM cabled area is a risky proposition. Certainly in Virgin areas it is pretty much accepted that “first in wins”. Insofar that anyone that fibres a new town will pretty much deter anyone else from fibre-ing it. BT have an obligation to, so that would mean a minimum of two full fibre providers everywhere, and a third will rarely be viable.