View Single Post
Old 25-01-2023, 00:29   #11
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: ISP Virgin Media UK Discounts Gigabit Broadband to £39.99

The biggest benefit of 1 gigabit for me, is I dont need to shape my downstream traffic, I can do multiple things at once without a care in the world.

When I was on VDSL, if I downloaded a game, it felt like I was been ddosed, twitch would keep buffering and be stuck in 480p or below, netflix similar etc. Secondly grabbing games even though I might be hitting my wifi cap (on consoles), 300mbit of wifi bandwidth is still way faster than what I was getting on VDSL, and steam comes down at close to the full gigabit over ethernet on my PC.

Finally gig1 gives you a degree of protection from docsis downstream congestion as the 3.1 DS channel is exclusive to gig1 customers. I am noticing considerable upstream congestion, but I can do the full gigabit around the clock even mid evening.

With that said I wouldnt have ordered at the normal £62, it was high enough to scare me off. Luckily I got the O2 volt deal (£41 total monthly cost including O2). I will say the O2 gig1 deal is better as you getting a mobile sim for only one extra pound, but this is still a good offer for the standalone gigabit.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote