View Single Post
Old 29-05-2021, 11:53   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Which streamer wins your vote ?

Not sure why this is a multi-choice poll when you want to know which one people think is best?

Anyhoo ... it’s got to be a little subjective because it depends what sort of stuff you want to watch. There’s an absolute ton of very high profile stuff on Disney+ for example, and it’s great to get access to new content so soon after it’s been in the cinema. But they’re still falling far short on new episodic content of the sort most people want to dip in to on a weekday evening. They added Star to try to rectify this but even here they’re still relying on a large back catalogue rather than producing lots of new content.

Amazon is a bit weird and experimental, probably because they’re giving it away free with Prime parcel delivery so perhaps they think they’re not risking losing subs. They obviously really, really want to get into live sports which doesn’t interest me in the slightest. They have a nasty habit of providing partial box sets and then giving you barely enough time to watch them before they go off Prime.

Apple TV seems to exist because Apple thinks this is something it ought to be doing, though it has little idea why. For All Mankind is exceptionally good but it’s the only thing I’ve been able to stay with. Like Amazon, the service has other reasons to survive - they’re also renting and selling content so the platform is going nowhere if only for that reason.

Now TV I have no experience of, but as I have no interest in Sky I don’t think I’m missing out.

That only leaves Netflix, which gets many more hours of screen time in our house than everything else combined. Netflix has by far the cleanest UI, the simplest proposition (pay once, all you can eat) and an enormous, highly varied catalogue that they are constantly adding to with new content, much of which they’re commissioning themselves so it’s there for good.

So, I voted Netflix for all-round excellence, and in our household Disney+ gets a solid second place because when they do make original shows, they do it exceptionally well.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote