View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 22:48   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Are speed checks accurate

Hi all,

daft question but are speed checks accurate. My speed on speedtest okala can range from 600-400 download within a 5 minute window haha. i find my speed starts at around 700-800 and then drops down. sometimes it only drops down to 500ish but sometimes it'll drop down to 200 and then bounce back up to around 400 in the end. My questions are

1) Surely the speed shouldn't fluctuate that wildly from start to the finish of the test. Going really high and then really low and then back up to midrange all within 30 seconds?

2) I've used another speed back and got 914 download and another one got me to 700 download. its just all seems quite random. like even using the same speed check i can get consistently different results.

Am i over thinking this and it is just normal for results to fluctuate so much or is this a potential problem? i would have thought a speed check would hit 800 to begin with, drop by 20, climb again by 5 and just sort of remain steady rather than going down hundreds and back up hundreds all in the same test before ending on a random figure i could probably never get very close to again.

My internet is fast than ill ever need for my pc im just more curious

yes i am attached to ethernet cable into pc.

My iphone meanwhile just goes from low to high and then doesn't really fluctuate that much and always seems to get scores of around 750-775 whilst my pc as i mention can fluctuate by almost 200+ mbps on final results.

cheers in advance!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote