View Single Post
Old 18-08-2023, 00:09   #23
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age
Re: Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

I've been looking into this and the equipment selection was quite key for me, 5G is massively overpriced and realistically 4G can deliver the speeds at a fraction of the cost. I already have a pfsense setup at home so I bought a second hand Microtik dish off a mate and used it as failover when I was having lots of VM issues, mounted inside but could go outside it works more than good enough for me.

I already had an EE sim, O2 was poor so bought a Smarty unlimted sim for peanuts and have been using that.

Equipment and operator and even the building can make the difference, someone at work bought a 5G Zyxel thing which was used as a modem with an O2 sim in, mast less than 100m away in a pre fab building, luckily if we got 80mb, yet outside got far more. Been running that temporarly for 6 weeks only issue we had with 40 users on was the upload was so poor the network was shocking and dropped the VPN (double NAT probably didn't help in some instances).

For Joe Public at home its more than enough if you have the right provider, I did look at Pepwave routers which are not cheap but you can put miltiple sims in, often used in vehicles for travelling but have other features, in my setup at home I use VM and a SIM.

I will be doing some more testing on this in a few weeks as I am just about to redeploy the 5G at work to another site whilist the main connection is been installed then it will be back for site failures so will have time to play and tweak a bit more.

Have a look at YouTube on those who live in campers and their setups, some even use Peplink with SIM's in, connect to site WiFi through the router when on sites and some even add Starlink into the equation.