View Single Post
Old 23-09-2022, 21:56   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Part Time Workers Targeted

A lot of employers mainly take on part time employees because it keeps their wage below the National Insurance (NI) level where the employers NI contribution kicks in.

If it all fits in with everybody, they may be able to do two part time jobs if no suitable full time jobs are available. It should be noted that it's sometimes in the contract of employment that employees are not allowed to work anywhere else, even for zero hours contracts, in order to keep the employee available to work if needs be.

The problem with this is that they won't be getting a NI credit for being unemployed or earning enough to pay NI themselves. A gap in their lifetime NI record could affect their pension and entitlement to other benefits should they become sick, disabled etc.

Some people, like myself, went part time because it's all they can manage, bur at least they are partially supporting themselves. I'm not on Univetsal Credit, but the principle is the same.

To encourage people to take up less than full time hours and ensure that those in work weren't worse off than on benefits, the Tories introduced Family Income Supplement for those working 30 hours a week or more.

The Thatcher Government changed this to Family Credit in 1988 and made the qualifying hours 24, the Major Government changed this to 16, the Blair Government changed this to Tax Credits and the Cameron Government changed this to Universal Credit.

Both parties did this with the belief in mind that it was better to make work pay and have people partially supporting themselves than totally relying on the state.

Now that various events have resulted in a lot of unfilled vacancies I think that the attitude of the Truss Government towards this idea has changed, both to save money and fill some of these vacancies.

Jaymoss is correct though in that many people who can only work part time will fall foul of this legislation amendment.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 23-09-2022 at 22:03.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote