View Single Post
Old 19-07-2022, 15:14   #1731
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
These laws are so open to interpretation that what seems harmless to one person, another can claim it is offensive.

For instance I made a post recently where I complained about almost every new tv series and movie being woke and gave examples, such as shoe-horning in the fact the main character (ignoring the fact she shouldn't have been the main character of the movie...) had two mothers rather than the traditional family makeup. I might have gone on to say something about Stranger things getting in a Lesbian crush in for their wokeness in the first episode of the new series.

While my issue is not with these things directly, but the forced nature of it in almost every bit of new media released, I am sure someone would take offence and say that I am homophobic or that it is hate speech.

Some people will think twice about offering such an opinion if they think they are going to get in trouble for it, which is the chilling effect we are talking about. Some forums will choose to moderate innocent opinions rather than have to worry about a potential law suit because they are not sure if it falls foul of any new vague law.

Just a simple example where your opinion on what is said might differ from what someone else might think. Remember, some people are professionals at being upset on other peoples behalves too.

I'm sure mods/admins here would have their own opinion if I have done something that breaks any laws...but sometimes moderation is not the best choice.
You make a very good point, i'll respond properly in a bit (this heat is really affecting me).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote