View Single Post
Old 20-03-2022, 00:02   #317
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I was thinking same re: FreeSports after I learned of Local mux happening today. I think they ceased FreeSat transmission to save the pennies for DTT, hoping some opportunity would present itself. I doubt the Local mux was on their radar, I think it's an opportunity that may have only just presented itself, assuming it's not really technical difficulties (I doubt it is, I just don't think there was an appropriate slate available).

UKTV have a history of replacing +1s with new FTA launches, so W will replace Dave Ja Vu since it's most prominent and its demographic is more likely to use On-demand rather than a +1.

That's TV UK is on one of the Freeview IP portal services I seem to recall, so it will still be available on Smart TVs, not just Local Mux variant.

I'm not sure if Forces TV will make the transition after closure, they may move onto an IP Portal.

I wouldn't be surprised is Now Music took the remainder of the Ideal World slot overnight as it wouldn't suit many channels.
Apparently, when the mux that provides regionalisation for the PSB's has been rebuilt, it"s believed that there will be room for an extra HD channel. It's thought that this will be used for BBC News or BBC4. BBC4 would be better (unless they have plans to close it now with the new TVL freeze), as BBC News is available in HD for much of the time anyway when it simulcasts with BBC1 & BBC2.

Freesports initially said that they wouldn't be joining Freeview because it was too expensive, but then the much cheaper temporary Com muxes became available. Unless they have now become really successful, I can't see them being able to afford a 'proper' slot that's available.

If it could go onto all the local muxes, this would broadly be the same number of potential viewers as Com 7.

If it has to come off Freeview, I wonder if it might return to Freesat to help to replace their lost viewers (especially now that Freesat has a new charging structure)??

The other option is for them to remain on Freeview via streaming, but I imagine that a lot of people don't bother with this option for various reasons. It will help now that streaming channels are allowed to have their own EPG slot.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 20-03-2022 at 00:05.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote